UP FRONT

UP FRONT - Interview



1) The first question just to get things going, please tell us how and why you started "Up Front"?

We were high school friends that enjoyed going to hardcore/punk/metal shows and thought that it would be fun to do a band of our own. So we started writing songs and had a friend of ours play drums and shortly after we were getting show offers and playing with Bold, Wide Awake and Aware.


2) You will be playing one festival in Europe 2012 together with "Madball" among other bands.
Will there be any additional European-dates or is this just a "one-off-concert"?

We are talking to MAD about the possibility of playing a few more shows, but as of right now, it's just the Festival.

3) Which line-up will "Up Front" be performing with in Europe 2012? Any newcomers to the band or will it be a classic line-up?

I actually cannot make it, which will be the first time in the history of the band playing a show without me. I opened a Vegan Restaurant in Long Beach California back in October of 2011 and we are going to be selling desserts at the Revelation Records 25th Anniversary Festival the same weekend as the Festival in Germany. So Rich (our 2nd guitarist) will be playing bass, Tim on drums, Jon on guitar and Roger Lambert will be singing. Roger sang with the band for a little while in 1989 and 1990, but we never recorded with him. Two years ago we played a one off show in NYC with Roger on vocals.



4) What would you say is the biggest difference between playing live vs. recording?

The energy that you can feed off of the crowd and being loud, live and on the same stage. Sometimes in the recording studio, you are set up in different rooms, there is no eye contact with the other band members and you have to wear headphones… It is very stressful sometimes when in the recording studio. Though the final product is usually very fulfilling, I definitely prefer playing live over recording.

5) What kind of question would you like to be asked, and could you please answer it for us now?

Not sure, I think that you did a great job with the questions that you asked, so I feel fulfilled :)

6) Equally important, what is your no.1 question that you can´t stand?

I wouldn't say that I can't stand it, but it does get a little old answering the token "how did the band form, when did the band form, why did the band form" questions as well as the "how is the scene different now from the 1980's".

7) If you would arrange your own "festival", what would the line-up be like and why?

Wow, well I guess that would depend on if it could include bands that are broken up or if it has to be only current bands that still play shows. But off the top of my head, I would say Minor Threat, SSD, 7 Seconds, Negative Approach, Antidote, The Abused, The Descendents, Circle Jerks, Adolescents, Middle Class, Underdog, Token Entry and The Crumbsuckers. As for why… why not? :)



8) Are you involved in any other musical projects at the moment?

I play in a band called Confidence Crisis, but we have been on a short break because I opened the restaurant and have not had the time, but we are hoping to start playing again in the near future. Our drummer Tim plays in a band called Capital Radio, who just released a new Digital Download LP on Smorgasbord Records in late 2011. http://smorgasbordrecords.com/

9) If you had to describe your music without words, and had to draw a picture to explain, how would your painting look like?

This is a hard question for me to answer, mostly because I am terrible at drawing and painting… so unfortunately it might just look like a jumbled mess.

10) Can we expect a new album or is it just wishful thinking?

Honestly, I would not count on it. Jon lives in Virginia, Tim lives in Boson, Rich lives in NY and Steve and I live in Southern California. With all of our busy lives and schedules, I don't think that it would be possible to write and record any new material.

11) How do you feel about the punk and hardcore-scene in USA today? Any new bands that you can recommend?

I love it! Living in Southern California, there are literally shows every night of the week. Big shows, small shows, house shows, bar shows, all ages shows, you name it. Also, judging from friends and other band's Facebook posts, there are a lot of great shows in NYC and Philadelphia areas. As for newer bands, here in SoCal, Media Blitz, Rotting Out, Stresscase, Concussion and Outliers.



12) Are you still into "S.X.E"-thing? What did it mean to you 20 years back and what does it mean to you today?

I am not sxe, but I am also not someone who indulges in drugs and alcohol. I don't smoke cigarettes and I rarely drink, it's just not something that I enjoy. Sxe was an important part of my life for 13 years, I love it, I support it and I think it's a great lifestyle for someone to live.

13) Any last words or reflections? Thank you for taking your time to answer our question!

 Thanks so much for taking the time to allow me to speak my mind… wish that I could see everyone this June in Germany, but I know that the rest of the band is going to rock and it is going to be a Fest not to miss! Be sure to follow us on Facebook for updates and info… https://www.facebook.com/xupfrontx

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

ÖRESUND SPACE COLLECTIVE

IEM-TAPING

Mammatus